Denim Yacht Pot

I thought it was time to rework/redesign Granny’s Reticule, my intention was to use Twilleys Freedom Echo dk, 100% recycled cotton, I’d won the bid for it on eBay which suprised me, but I think it was because the yarn was listed as Blue, I’ve always thought of it as Denim, I’m convinced Denim sells better than Blue!!

As I worked through the design, I quickly realised that it was something new, and absolutely nothing to do with the Reticule! Initially it was going to be a bag, but that didn’t feel right, and as it slowly morphed into some kind of decorative piece, I really wasn’t sure, but I mumbled something about a pot, to which Chris smartly replied “a yacht pot.”, and so the design was born!

It’s crocheted all in one, from pot through to the liner and requires some cardboard to give it shape, charts are included, and like Pandora’s Purse, it utilises the modified single crochet stitch.  I’m quite chuffed with the end result and am now keen to design more pots!

Yes there are 3 different yachts, not two different pots!

American Crochet Terms used throughout.

Materials
DK weight yarn in Blue, Red & White
Sample used –
1 ball (50g 100m/109yds) freedom echo d.k. in Blue
½ ball (50g 115m/126yds) Gruendl Cotton Fun in Red
1½ balls (50g 92m/100yds) Stylecraft Cotton DK Classique in White
3.50mm hook
stitch marker
5”/13cm circle of cardboard
15”/39cm x 4”/11cm rectangle of cardboard

Finished Size:
Approximately 5”/13cm diameter, 4.5”/11cm high

Buy now on Craftsy

Advertisements

Pandora’s Purse Crochet Pattern

I’ve had the idea to create a “top-down” bag for sometime, but it wasn’t until I rediscovered this pattern that it all came together. Many years ago I swore I would never use black yarn, but no other colour would do this design justice. Fortunately I’ve just moved my craft chair in front of a large window, so with light behind me, and crocheting just a few rounds at a time, I finally finished the pattern. Then had to wait nearly a week for it to stop raining, and for the sun to come out, so I could take pictures!

The pattern is on both sides of the bag and the length of the handle can easily be modified to suit.

American Crochet Terms used throughout.

Materials:
DK weight yarn – 2 x 50g balls (92m/100yds) in Black, 1 x 50g balls (92m/100yds) in White
3.50mm hook
(3.00mm hook for finial only)
stitch marker

Finished Size:
Approximately 8”/20cm long (excluding handle), 6”/15cm wide.

Written instructions, a chart and tutorials are included.

buy now on Craftsy

New Hooks and Butterflies!

After struggling with generic crochet hooks for months I decided I’d had enough and would buy some new ones. As my KnitPro knitty sticks and circs have been so good, I bought a couple of their crochet hooks.


They crochet like a dream, no more fighting with splitty yarn, they just glide through the stitches. The handle is nice and soft, and they’re small enough to fit in my hand, perfect.

And now to new butterflies, I’ve completely rewritten the Butterfly Cluster Square in three colours instead of two, it is a bit more fiddly to crochet, but I think it’s worth it. Here’s the before and after pics…

With the new design it’s much easier to join squares together to make a blankie or shawl or…whatever you desire 🙂

I’ve also finished another three of my free patterns, Laura’s Motif, Faith’s Motif and Juliet’s Motif.

I shall now take a well earned break before doing any more work…I’ve got a wall that needs painting…cobwebs to hoover…cakes to bake…cat to fuss…

To Do’s & Thank You’s

First of all I would like to say an epic thank you to Kim Guzman for featuring my Henrietta’s Motif on her website, Make It Crochet. And an equally big thank you to the thousands of hookers crocheters who’ve downloaded the pattern, and those who just started following our ‘umble craft blog 🙂

Now to ‘To Do’s’, as mentioned in previous posts, I’m in the middle of reworking some of my older designs, Henrietta’s Motif was in the process of being done when it suddenly hit dizzying heights of popularity. So if you downloaded the earlier version, you might wish to try the new improved one instead. Along with Henrietta’s Motif, I also updated Kira’s Motif, and decided to keep the names the same. I’ve a few more Motifs to do, then a few other designs, and by popular request, I need to work out a way to join Henrietta’s Motif as part of the pattern.

As if that wasn’t enough to keep me out of trouble for a while, I’ve still got some knitting to work on, and thanks to Kim Guzman’s book on Tunisian Crochet, I’d like to finesse my techniques a little further.

Once my new yarn arrives, I shall be crocheting like a woman possessed…well if I can stop watching the French Open for long enough!