New Hooks and Butterflies!

After struggling with generic crochet hooks for months I decided I’d had enough and would buy some new ones. As my KnitPro knitty sticks and circs have been so good, I bought a couple of their crochet hooks.


They crochet like a dream, no more fighting with splitty yarn, they just glide through the stitches. The handle is nice and soft, and they’re small enough to fit in my hand, perfect.

And now to new butterflies, I’ve completely rewritten the Butterfly Cluster Square in three colours instead of two, it is a bit more fiddly to crochet, but I think it’s worth it. Here’s the before and after pics…

With the new design it’s much easier to join squares together to make a blankie or shawl or…whatever you desire 🙂

I’ve also finished another three of my free patterns, Laura’s Motif, Faith’s Motif and Juliet’s Motif.

I shall now take a well earned break before doing any more work…I’ve got a wall that needs painting…cobwebs to hoover…cakes to bake…cat to fuss…

Advertisements

More motif changes!

Slowly, very slowly, (weather gets hotter…I get slower) I’m working on some more reworking of motifs. The main problem is renaming, both me and Chris are getting old, grey cells a bit faded, and brainstorming new names is a wee bit tougher than it used to be!!

When I’d finished re-crocheting ‘Dixie’s Motif’, I could not think of a name, after several days of ‘umming and arring’, Chris made the decision for me. “A Round Tuit” he said, almost gleefully, I snorted derisively, then when he explained that I will eventually get around to naming it, it made sense. And so it is!

Dixie’s Motif is now A Round Tuit

Emma’s Motif is now Orangery

Gracie’s Motif is now Hexaflora

The Curious Case of the Disappearing Motifs

Back in January 2015 I had a design frenzy, the only problem was, I had no idea what to call the patterns. As they were all generally motifs, I decided to give them girls names, from A to Z. I got to L before my crochet mojo left the building. I now realise that the last ones will never be designed and its been holding me back.

So I could either delete the patterns…or re-crochet and rename them, and that is what I’m in the middle of doing. So apologies if I cause any confusion in the process, but I shall do further posts as I progress detailing what the motifs were and what they have been renamed. Assuming of course I don’t lose my mojo again, it’s such a fragile thing and needs long vacations in Tahiti…which I believe is a magical place…according to Phil Coulson…anyway back to crocheting!

Amelia’s Motif is now Vintage Star Doily.

Bella’s Border Motif is now Gerbera Lace Border.


Caroline’s Granny Square Motif is now Cotton Candy Granny Square.

Imogen’s Motif is now Barleycorn Motif.

Hexagons, Octagons & Samosas, oh my!

I’ve done some more updating of my older crochet patterns. This time it was Myrtle In The Round, Epic Picot Hexagon, Granny Was Framed, Samosa Purse and Octagonal Flower.

And once again, here are the before and afters! All these patterns are FREE 🙂

 

Double Diamond Knitting Pattern

A nice and simple pattern that has no wrong or right side, it looks good from either side!

Double Diamond

Abbreviations
k – knit
p – purl
st/sts – stitch/stitches
yo – yarn over
sl – slip
skpo – sl 1 st, k1, pass sl st over

Cast on multiples of 14 sts.

Row 1: *k3, p3, k4, p3, k1* to end of row.

Row 2: *p2, k1, p4, k5, p2* to end of row.

Row 3: *k1, p7, k6* to end of row.

Row 4: *p5, k3, skpo, yo, k4* to end of row.

Row 5: Same as Row 3.

Row 6: Same as Row 2.

Row 7: Same as Row 1.

Row 8: *k5, p4, k1, p4* to end of row.

Row 9: *p1, k7, p6,* to end of row.

Row 10: *k1, skpo, yo, k4, p5, k2* to end of row.

Row 11: Same as Row 9.

Row 12: Same as Row 8.

These 12 rows form the pattern.

To knit a washcloth, or dishcloth, using DK weight yarn and 4.00mm needles, cast on 42 stitches, knit 4 repeats of the pattern, then Rows 1 & 2 once more, cast off and sew in ends. This makes a cloth approximately 7″/18cm square.

© Shana Rae 2016

Saturday Scraps – Snakes & Ladders

Designing hasn’t been going according to plan of late, it’s been like the proverbial game of Snakes & Ladders. During a recent bout of knoodling*, I knitted this pattern, just a scrap really, but I thought I’d share 🙂

Saturday Scraps - Snakes & Ladders
Saturday Scraps – Snakes & Ladders

Snakes & Ladders

Abbreviations
k – knit
p – purl
st/sts – stitch/stitches
yo – yarn over
cn – cable needle
sl – slip
psso – pass slipped stitch over
skpo – sl 1 st, k1, pass sl st over
p2togtbl – purl 2 sts together through back of loop
C4B – slip 2 sts to cable needle, hold at back, knit 2 sts from left needle, knit the 2 sts on cable needle
C4F – slip 2 sts to cable needle, hold at front, knit 2 sts from left needle, knit the 2 sts on cable needle

Cast on 20 sts.

Row 1: K5, yo, skpo, k5, yo, skpo, k6.

Row 2: P5, yo, p2togtbl, p5, yo, p2togtbl, p6.

Row 3: K5, yo, skpo, k1, C4B, yo, skpo, k6.

Row 4: As Row 2.

Row 5: As Row 1.

Row 6: As Row 2.

Row 7: K5, yo, skpo, k1, C4F, yo, skpo, k6.

Row 8: As Row 2.

These 8 rows form the pattern.

© Shana Rae 2016

*knoodling – random knitting accompanied by random doodling on graph paper