I thought it was time to rework/redesign Granny’s Reticule, my intention was to use Twilleys Freedom Echo dk, 100% recycled cotton, I’d won the bid for it on eBay which suprised me, but I think it was because the yarn was listed as Blue, I’ve always thought of it as Denim, I’m convinced Denim sells better than Blue!!
As I worked through the design, I quickly realised that it was something new, and absolutely nothing to do with the Reticule! Initially it was going to be a bag, but that didn’t feel right, and as it slowly morphed into some kind of decorative piece, I really wasn’t sure, but I mumbled something about a pot, to which Chris smartly replied “a yacht pot.”, and so the design was born!
It’s crocheted all in one, from pot through to the liner and requires some cardboard to give it shape, charts are included, and like Pandora’s Purse, it utilises the modified single crochet stitch. I’m quite chuffed with the end result and am now keen to design more pots!
Denim Yacht Pot – Side A
Denim Yacht Pot – Side B
Denim Yacht Pot – Inside
Yes there are 3 different yachts, not two different pots!
DK weight yarn in Blue, Red & White
Sample used –
1 ball (50g 100m/109yds) freedom echo d.k. in Blue
½ ball (50g 115m/126yds) Gruendl Cotton Fun in Red
1½ balls (50g 92m/100yds) Stylecraft Cotton DK Classique in White
5”/13cm circle of cardboard
15”/39cm x 4”/11cm rectangle of cardboard
Approximately 5”/13cm diameter, 4.5”/11cm high
I decided to update the pattern for the Rustic Coin Purse design, except the update turned into a complete re-design! I’ve kept the listing for the old design, but renamed the new one to avoid confusion.
Chris can take the credit for the new name, he was knitting with neon acrylic yarn at the time, I think it affected his brain, certainly affected my eyesight and I only glanced at it! But I digress, here is the new design, Nova Rusticana Purse, enjoy 🙂
I first released the pattern for the Raspberry Ripple bag in 2013, it’s one of my favourites, but I didn’t do it full justice at the time because I used *whispers* acrylic yarn...I wasn’t too impressed with the original pic either, so a new one was taken in 2016…
Well there is now a new improved version I’m much happier with, the pattern didn’t need any alteration, but I tweaked a few things, like crocheting in the round rather than joining rows. And here is the new cotton version…
I’ve had the idea to create a “top-down” bag for sometime, but it wasn’t until I rediscovered this pattern that it all came together. Many years ago I swore I would never use black yarn, but no other colour would do this design justice. Fortunately I’ve just moved my craft chair in front of a large window, so with light behind me, and crocheting just a few rounds at a time, I finally finished the pattern. Then had to wait nearly a week for it to stop raining, and for the sun to come out, so I could take pictures!
The pattern is on both sides of the bag and the length of the handle can easily be modified to suit.
I actually started work on this design over a year ago, then got distracted by knitting, as one does!
There is absolutely no sewing involved, well apart from weaving in loose ends, it is crocheted from the base in the round, and then the handle is worked from side to side. The basket weave pattern is a combination of the crochet knit stitch and working in the back loops.
A few years ago I crocheted a little pig purse, but never got around to publishing the design, then I lost my notes, and just forgot about the pattern altogether.
Then I found this yarn, and a phrase popped into my head, ‘you can’t make a silk purse of a sow’s ear’, (Coined by Stephen Gosson in 1579 in the book The Ephemerides of Phialo: Deuided Into Three Bookes – if you really want to know!), and I decided I could, well almost, as the yarn is only 20% silk!
And here is the new pig purse, perfect size to hold my mobile phone 🙂 Well it’s almost a silk purse!