Repurposing a Bean Bag. . .

Well that was the plan when Chris dug this old bean bag out of the loft, I thought we could turn it into two laptrays with the beans from the bag.

Smoky had other ideas. Methinks he’s claimed it as his own.

So if you’re reading this post expecting some useful upcycling, sorry, I’m not brave enough to argue with the cat!

Advertisements

Cotton Wool Balls

  1. Into a Magic Circle, 1ch, 6sc, sl st in 1st sc to join.
  2. 2sc in each sc, around. (12 sts)
  3. 1sc, inc in each sc, around. (18 sts)
  4. Sc around.
  5. Sc around.
  6. Sc around.
  7. Sc around.
  8. 1sc, dec, around. (12 sts)
  9. Stuff ball with pure wool.
  10. sc2tog, around. (6 sts)
  11. Break yarn, thread through remaining sts, pull tight, fasten securely

Repeat 200 times.

That was the main part of a project me and Chris were working on, the idea being to make our own pillows as neither of us wanted to be poisoned by formaldehyde from the polyester pillows we had been sleeping on. (note: we do not vouch for the validity of the article, just something else to consider in the sick polluted world in which we live.)

We could have bought feather pillows, but as we had the ability to make our own, we did.

And failed.

It just did not turn out as comfortable as we wished and so the pillowcases that Chris knitted so exquisitely in Jumbo Cotton White,  from Yarn Paradise were frogged, and no, that is NOT an affiliate link, but clicking it may well force you to purchase unknown quantities of yarn 😉

As for the 200 Cotton Wool Balls…

I’m sure that one day, when I’ve recovered, I’ll think of something to do with them!

 

Here we go Looby Lou…

When I was a kid I wasn’t really interested in dolls, especially Tiny Tears who leaked everywhere, I was quite relieved when my cousin pulled its head off. However, my next doll was something special, she was called Looby Lou, I think that was the type of doll it was, I wasn’t big on naming dolls! This is similar to the one I had.

I’ve lately been overwhelmed by waves of nostalgia and thought it would be nice to find another Looby Lou doll, mine disappeared a long time ago. Then I had a John Zaffis moment and realised it may not be the best thing to buy someone elses childhood doll, who knows what memories might be attached.

So the only sensible option was to make my own, not too hard, but there is an awful lot of sewing involved, and as I still haven’t mastered my sewing machine, that left me with crocheting a doll, or knitting one. Crocheting one would be easier for all the shaping that’s involved, but I wasn’t happy with the look, so I had to step up to the plate and knit myself a new Looby Lou, sometimes I have the stupidest ideas.

I can’t precisely remember when I started knitting because I did a lot of ‘scrap’ pieces to work out the feet and hands. But I do know I purchased a very large amount of Rico Cotton Aran at the beginning of September 2017. And I haven’t stopped knitting since, and re-knitting, and frogging, and re-writing, and reordering colours, and completely re-knitting the doll 3 times before I was happy.

Louby Lou measures approximately 28″ in height, and within my limited knitting knowledge, I do not feel I could have knitted her any better.

The body is knitted in Aran, but using 3.00mm needles to give it firmness, I also used ‘non-carded’ filling which isn’t as fluffy and gives better shape definition. Her hair is a mixture of mohair and fine alpaca, very fine in fact, but interestingly, after giving it a good comb through, it feels and smells like my original dolls hair.

That was probably the biggest project I will every work on…but now I have a happy 🙂

 

The Long Slow Process of Updating Patterns

I’ve been putting off a thorough re-design of my patterns for some time, I put new covers on a while ago, but I knew more was needed. A lot of patterns have way too many pages, so I’ve opted for a 2-column design, the free patterns no longer have a cover so the pattern starts immediately. The patterns for sale now start with a picture and materials required on the first, the actual pattern starting on the second page. Some patterns have gone down from 9 pages to 4, oh my goodness, serious bloat!!

Here’s a gallery of the front covers so far…hopefully it shouldn’t take much longer, as I’m in the middle of a personal project that I can’t wait to share, and I’ve got an ever increasing list of ideas, including something to do with bat wings!!