Oops, with a title like that I’ve really gone and ‘bigged it up’ now, haven’t I?
It was a short but fun project though and for once both Shana and I could work on making the same thing at the same time.
And as a wise washer-upper once said, you can never have too many dishcloths. 🙂
So now to the technical details. We got a couple of 100g balls of King Cole Dish Cloth & Craft Cotton. I chose the cream one and Shana chose (ie, was left lumbered with) the other one, which is not salmon but shrimp, in case you wondered.
We cast on thirty stitches and knitted till we had roughly a seven-inch square. To be precise, when I say ‘knitted’, I did garter stitch, and Shana showed off her stockinette prowess. But in the end, they are all the same when they get soaked in sudsy water aren’t they?
Here’s a close-up of the rough and bristly nature of the yarn itself. Not too tricky to work with so long as you pay attention to what is (and sometimes what isn’t) a proper stitch.
By the way, if you want the really itty-bitty details, I used a pair (I find it’s always better than using just one) of 6mm square needles. And Shana opted for 6mm bamboo.
Oh, and just to cement her position as the Knitty Queen, Shana also dashed off a nifty little four-inch diameter pan scrub. I’m still working on that and am constantly irked by having a k2tog at one or either end of every row. Grrrr!
I tried the pan scrub on some plates this evening after we had jacket potatoes and grated cheddar cheese earlier in the afternoon. The plates came out really clean, so on first use I rate the pan scrub on a par with my usual pan sponges, which have a rough side on one edge.
Tomorrow, I shall try the square cloths. I might write another entry afterwards to assess their effectiveness. Unless of course someone pays me not to do so. Ooh look, here comes Shana with a handful of coins 🙂